|2015-2018 North Carolina State University Raleigh, North Carolina
- PhD in Applied Ecology
- Degree in Zoology
2010-2012 North Carolina State University Raleigh, North Carolina
- MS in Entomology
- Degree in Entomology with a concentration in Ornamental Pest Management.
2007-2010 McGill University Montreal, Québec, Canada
- BSc in Environmental and Agricultural Sciences (Honors)
- Degree in Environmental sciences with a concentration in Biodiversity and Conservation.
2005-2007 John Abbott College St-Anne-de-Bellevue, Québec, Canada
- College Diploma in Pure and applied sciences. Graduated in June 2007
- May 2019 – Present – Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Ecology, NCSU
- January 2019 – Present – CREdO Program coordinator, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, NCSU
- August 2018 – December 2018 – Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Applied Ecology, NCSU
- December 2017 – May 2018 – Information and communications coordinator, CALS International Programs, NCSU
- September 2017 – December 2017 – Graduate Trainer for Global Academy, CALS International Programs, NCSU
- October 2012-2015 – Research Assistant, NC Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Department of Applied Ecology, NCSU
- January 2011 – May 2011 – Teaching Assistant, “Insects and People”, NCSU
- May – August 2009 – Volunteer Researcher, Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica , Madre de Dios, Peru
- 2007 and 2008 – Resident Naturalist, Explorer’s Inn, Madre de Dios, Peru
|Peer Reviewed Publications
- S.G. Prado, J.A. Collazo, P. Stevenson & R.E. Irwin (2019) A comparison of coffee floral traits under two different agricultural practices. Scientific Reports. 9: 7331. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-43753-y
- Terando, A.J., S.G. Prado, E. Youngsteadt (2018) Construction of a compact low-cost radiation shield for air-temperature sensors in ecological field studies. J. Vis. Exp. (141), e58273. doi:10.3791/58273
- Prado, S.G., R.E. Irwin & J.A. Collazo (2018) Resurgence of specialized shade coffee cultivation: Effects on pollination services and quality of coffee production. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 265: 567-575.
- Terando, A.J., Youngsteadt, E., Meineke, E.K. & S.G. Prado. 2017. Accurate near surface air temperature measurements are necessary to gauge large‐scale ecological responses to global climate change. Ecology and Evolution. 8: 5233.
- Terando, A.J., Youngsteadt, E., Meineke, E.K. & S.G. Prado (2017) Ad hoc instrumentation methods in ecological studies produce highly biased temperature measurements. Ecology and Evoloution. 7(23): 9890-9904.
- Prado, S.G., H.T. Ngo, J.A. Florez, & J.A. Collazo. (2017) Sampling bees in tropical forests and agroecosystems: A review. Journal of Insect Conservation. August: 1-18. (http://rdcu.be/vcfs)
- Prado, S.G., S.E. Jandricic & S.D. Frank. (2015) Ecological Interactions Affecting the Efficacy of Aphidius colemani in Greenhouse Crops . Insects. 6(2): 538-575. (http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/6/2/538/htm)
- Engel, M.S. and S.G. Prado (2014) First record of the cleptoparasitic bee genus Sphecodes from Puerto Rico (Hymenoptera: Halictidae). Journal of Melittology. 39: 1-6. (https://journals.ku.edu/index.php/melittology/article/view/4781/4401)
- Prado, S.G. & S.D. Frank. (2014) Optimal foraging by an aphid parasitoid affects the outcome of apparent competition. Ecological Entomology. 39(2): 236-244.
***Editor’s choice April-May 2014
- Prado, S.G. & S.D. Frank. (2013) Tritrophic effects of plant growth regulators in an aphid-parasitoid system. Biological Control. 66(1): 72-76.
- Prado, S.G., Dowdy, K.E., Irizarry, A.D., and J.A. Collazo. (2017) North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences – Science Cafe “Coffee Economics”
- Prado, S.G., Collazo, J. A. (2017) Universidad Nacional San Antonio Abab de Cusco, “Café y cacao: Valor y beneficios de cultivos bajo sombra” (Keynote Address)
- Prado, S.G., Collazo, J. A. (2017) UPR-Utuado, “Pollinators in Coffee Plantations” (Invited 20 minute presentation)
- Prado, S.G., Collazo, J. A. (2014) USFWS and Envirosurvey, “Valor y beneficios de las abejas nativas en cafetales en Puerto Rico” (Invited 20 minute presentation)
- Frank, S.D, Prado, S.G., (2012) Entomological Society of America, “Mechanisms affecting the efficacy of aphid banker plant systems” (Invited 20 minute presentation)
- Prado, S.G., Frank, S.D. (2012) Ecological Society of America, “Effect of parasitoid host choice on apparent competition between pest and non-pest aphids” (20 minute presentation)
- Prado, S.G., Frank, S.D. (2011) Entomological Society of America, “Plant growth regulator effects on pest aphid abundance and suppression using Aphidius colemani” (Invited 20 minute presentation)
- Prado, S.G., Frank, S.D. (2011), North Carolina State University, Entomology Symposium, “Plant Traits Altering Apparent Competition Between Pest and Non-Pest Aphids”
|Reports and Extension Publications
- Prado, S.G. & J.A. Collazo (2013). Native-Naturalized Plant Species for Pollinators in Agricultural Lands in the Caribbean Area. NRCS, Puerto Rico.
- Prado, S.G., A.G. Dale, T. McClure & S.D. Frank (2013). Optimizing Banker Plant Systems for Aphid Biological Control in Floriculture Greenhouses
- Prado, S.G. & S.D. Frank (2010). The parasitic wasp Aphidius colemani. North Carolina Pest News, North Carolina Cooperative Extension 25:21. (Related to Master’s thesis)
- Prado, S.G. & S.D. Frank (2010). Aphid pests of ornamental plants in greenhouses. North Carolina Pest News, North Carolina Cooperative Extension 25:22. (Related to Master’s thesis)
- Prado, S.G. & Puente, J.T.d.l. (2009) Amazonian Ants. In ITA (by Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica), Puerto Maldonado. (Unrelated to thesis work)
|January 2014-January 2018
- Puerto Rico DNER “Conservation Design and Habitat Conservation in Puerto Rico.” Collazo, J. A., J. K. Pacifici, E. Laber, B. Reich, and S. G. Prado.- $1,634,995
September 2012-May 2013
- USDA-NRCS “Native-Naturalized Plant Species for Pollinators in Agricultural Lands in the Caribbean Area.” J. A. Collazo, S. G. Prado – $40,000
September 2011 – August 2013
- USDA SARE Graduate Student Grant “Plant mediated effects on parasitoid efficacy in a banker plant system” S.G. Prado and S.D. Frank – $9,930
- Fluent in English, French and Spanish and basic Farsi.